"in a pinch" Cleaning Spray

Today I thought I'd share a super helpful chemical free way to keep your house spic-and-span. The ingredient list is minimal & super easy to track down, if you don't already have the ingredients in your pantry as we speak. 
Now, if you came here for my secret recipe to Homespun's all purpose cleaner, I'm afraid you're out of luck. But this is a great cheap option to use when you're in a pinch in between bottles!
Did you know that vinegar is an excellent disinfectant and deodorizer? It also helps cut grease! It's actually so great for cleaning, it effectively eliminates household bacterias like salmonella, E. coli and other "gram-negative" bacteria. Yes, it's a little smelly, but using essential oils not only helps in homeopathic ways, but it'll dilute the vinegar smell as well. Who knew you had all that power right at your fingertips, right? 

Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of vinegar (distilled white or apple cider)
  •  20 drops essential oils
  •  1 cup water
  • 16 oz spray bottle (glass if you're using citrus oils) 

The Directions couldn't be simpler, just combine your ingredients in your bottle and shake before use! 

*tips
 combining citrus oils will help cut grease and grime and a thieves blend is perfect for when it's germ spreading season (especially if you have snotty kiddos around the house). Use these favorite oil combinations: clove + orange, thieves + rosemary + bergamot, or make up your own! 

If you wanna get super fancy, you can infuse your vinegar with sage, rosemary or lavendar by soaking the herbs in the vinegar in a dark space between 24-48 hours. This will also help mask the vinegar smell.  

**NOT SAFE FOR USE ON GRANITE or MARBLE COUNTERTOPS
Because Vinegar is acidic it will etch your stone countertops. This cleaner should not be used on stone, but is safe on all other sealed surfaces including wood, tile, laminate, etc.  

 
 

"Leaves of Three, Let It Be!" - Poison Plant Paste

Last weekend my husband got into some poison... something.... ivy, sumac, or oak one. He didn't even know until days later when he came home from a work trip miserable. It's on his arms, his torso, even his forehead. Poor guy.  I whipped up some of this awesome homemade paste, and decided I needed to share this with you guys! 


ABOUT poison plants: (ivy, sumac, oak)

- you can break out in rash after touching ANYTHING that has been in contact with the plant. The plant. Using a weed eater to remove poison ivy will result in spraying your legs with poison ivy. (which is likely what happened to my husband)  These plants give off poison oils that react with your skin. 

-The plant oil, urushiol, is extremely stable and will stay active for many years in the right conditions, for example, on the underside of your lawnmower. Make sure you're cleaning any tools that come in contact with the oils well. 

-The itchy, blistering rash often does not start until 12 to 72 hours after you come into contact with the oil. 

-The rash is not contagious and does not spread. It might seem to spread, but this is a delayed reaction. The only thing that causes the rash to actually spread is contact with the plants poisonous oils. 

-Most people see the rash go away in a few weeks.  If you have a serious reaction, you need to see a doctor right away. Swelling is a sign of a serious reaction — especially swelling that makes an eye swell shut or your face to swell.

INGREDIENTS:

-3/4 c Bentonite Clay
-3 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
-10 drops peppermint essential oil
-5 drops Lavender essential oil
-5 drops Colloidal Silver
-2 TBSP AloeVera Gel

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl add clay & apple cider vinegar. The mixture may fizz a tiny bit, just let it stand until your mixture stabilizes. 

Add your peppermint essential oil, lavender essential oil, and Colloidal Silver to the clay mixture. Slowly stir until fully combined. 

You can use this mixture exactly as it is if you like a more raw texture, but I prefer to go one step further and add in my Aloe Vera Gel. It has added soothing benefits and makes your mixture just a bit creamier. More like a lotion than a paste. 

This will keep covered in a jar for about 2-3 weeks in the fridge. Apply it to any affected areas. The clay will soon dry. Leave your dried paste on until your next shower, or until you start to itch and feel the need to reapply. You'll know. 

 

Why does this work?

 The Clay mixture pulls the poison plant oils from the pores which dries up the infection very quickly.
Adding the apple cider vinegar and colloidal silver prevents infection.
The Peppermint oil acts as a pain reliever and the lavender oil calms and soothes the skin thereby relieving the itch. 
The Aloe Vera gel helps further soothe the itching and calm the infection. 

 

Where to find your ingredients:

I bought my ingredients at our local grocer: Uptown Grocery. 
But you can typically find these ingredients at any Wal Mart Supercenter, Sprouts, or Whole Foods Market. 

Use any small airtight container to store. Jelly Jars and small canning jars are perfect. 

 

The truth about cleaning products...

Guys. We've got to start paying better attention. But there's SO MUCH to pay attention to, where do you even start? The Environmental Working Group has made it easy. See their Hall of Shame for information on what we've all been spraying around our house to clean it. 

Most house hold cleaners contain some pretty severe chemicals.
Ammonia
Formaldehyde
Phthalates
Benzalkonium Chlorid
2-butoxyethanol

91% of our nation applies 300-million pounds of these poisons (often indoors) per YEAR.
The government acknowledges that these cleaning products are hazardous, but regulation only requires labels to indicate if they are: combustible, corrosive, poison, caution, etc. They are not required to expose the full ingredient list.

so before you go and spray around that yummy new spring scented air deodorizer, consider that the toxic chemical found inside is found in the blood of 95% of children and adults.
no. thank. you.  It pays to read the warning labels. 

"EWG’s 2009 state-of-the-art air pollution tests of 21 common school cleaning products turned
up a wide range of air contaminants linked to asthma, cancer, reproductive toxicity, hormone disruption and neurotoxicity. Some of the worst offenders are in products also commonly used in the home. "

 

Homespun. I've dedicated this business to providing safe and chemical free alternatives to your cleaning routines. This 'Hall of Shame' is the very reason I started this company in the first place... but here's the thing, plastics and chemicals are cheaper than organic and truly natural products, and I understand that sometimes it's just not in the budget. So I'm making this blog into a resource for you to refer to for your homemade cleaning and beauty recipes. Now, none of these are my recipes for my business, as I use high quality products that probably aren't already in your kitchen, but in the event that you've run out and haven't had the chance to restock, or you just can't afford the pricing, I'm still here for you! I don't want you to subject yourself to these chemicals. Use these recipes to clean safely. You'll find that many of them are just as cheap, if not cheaper than buying the chemical stuff anyway.