"Leaves of Three, Let It Be!" - Poison Plant Paste

Last weekend my husband got into some poison... something.... ivy, sumac, or oak one. He didn't even know until days later when he came home from a work trip miserable. It's on his arms, his torso, even his forehead. Poor guy.  I whipped up some of this awesome homemade paste, and decided I needed to share this with you guys! 


ABOUT poison plants: (ivy, sumac, oak)

- you can break out in rash after touching ANYTHING that has been in contact with the plant. The plant. Using a weed eater to remove poison ivy will result in spraying your legs with poison ivy. (which is likely what happened to my husband)  These plants give off poison oils that react with your skin. 

-The plant oil, urushiol, is extremely stable and will stay active for many years in the right conditions, for example, on the underside of your lawnmower. Make sure you're cleaning any tools that come in contact with the oils well. 

-The itchy, blistering rash often does not start until 12 to 72 hours after you come into contact with the oil. 

-The rash is not contagious and does not spread. It might seem to spread, but this is a delayed reaction. The only thing that causes the rash to actually spread is contact with the plants poisonous oils. 

-Most people see the rash go away in a few weeks.  If you have a serious reaction, you need to see a doctor right away. Swelling is a sign of a serious reaction — especially swelling that makes an eye swell shut or your face to swell.

INGREDIENTS:

-3/4 c Bentonite Clay
-3 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
-10 drops peppermint essential oil
-5 drops Lavender essential oil
-5 drops Colloidal Silver
-2 TBSP AloeVera Gel

DIRECTIONS:

In a small bowl add clay & apple cider vinegar. The mixture may fizz a tiny bit, just let it stand until your mixture stabilizes. 

Add your peppermint essential oil, lavender essential oil, and Colloidal Silver to the clay mixture. Slowly stir until fully combined. 

You can use this mixture exactly as it is if you like a more raw texture, but I prefer to go one step further and add in my Aloe Vera Gel. It has added soothing benefits and makes your mixture just a bit creamier. More like a lotion than a paste. 

This will keep covered in a jar for about 2-3 weeks in the fridge. Apply it to any affected areas. The clay will soon dry. Leave your dried paste on until your next shower, or until you start to itch and feel the need to reapply. You'll know. 

 

Why does this work?

 The Clay mixture pulls the poison plant oils from the pores which dries up the infection very quickly.
Adding the apple cider vinegar and colloidal silver prevents infection.
The Peppermint oil acts as a pain reliever and the lavender oil calms and soothes the skin thereby relieving the itch. 
The Aloe Vera gel helps further soothe the itching and calm the infection. 

 

Where to find your ingredients:

I bought my ingredients at our local grocer: Uptown Grocery. 
But you can typically find these ingredients at any Wal Mart Supercenter, Sprouts, or Whole Foods Market. 

Use any small airtight container to store. Jelly Jars and small canning jars are perfect.